Publications of the Agricultural and Food Economics professorship
Peer reviewed journal articles:
- Zhang, J., Mishra, A.K.; Hirsch, S. (2021): Market-oriented agriculuture and farm performance: Evidence from rural China. Food Policy
- Petersen, T.; Hartmann, M.; Hirsch, S. (2021) "Which meat (substitute) to buy? Is Front of Package Information reliable to identify the healthier and more natural choice?". Food Quality and Preference
- Koppenberg, M., Hirsch, S. (2021): Markup estimation: A comparison of contemporary methods at the example of European food retailers. Agribusiness
- Koppenberg, M., Hirsch, S. (2021) “Output market power and firm characteristics in dairy processing: Evidence from three EU countries". Journal of Agricultural Economics 2021
- Hirsch, S., Lanter, D., and Finger, R. (2020): Profitability and profit persistence in EU food retailing: Differences between top competitors and fringe firms
- Hirsch, S. and Koppenberg, M. (2020): Power imbalances in French food retailing: Evidence from a production function approach to estimate market power
- Zhang, J., Mishra, A.K., Hirsch, S., Li, X. (2020): Factors Affecting Farmland Rental in Rural China: Evidence of Capitalization of Grain Subsidy Payments. Land Use Policy 90, 104275.
- Koppenberg, M., Bozzola, M., Dalhaus, T., Hirsch, S. (2020): Mapping potential implications of temporary COVID‐19 export bans for the food supply in importing countries using precrisis trade flows.
- Hirsch, S., Mishra, A., Möhring, N. and Finger, R. (2019): Revisiting Firm Flexibility and Efficiency: Evidence from the EU Dairy Processing Industry. European Review of Agricultural Economics.
- Möhring, N., Bozzola, M., Hirsch, S. and Finger, R. (2019): Are pesticides risk decreasing? The relevance of pesticide indicator choice in empirical analysis. Agricultural Economics.
- D’Souza, A., Mishra, A.K. and Hirsch, S. (2019): Enhancing Food Security through Diet Quality: The Role of Off-Farm Work in Rural India. Agricultural Economics.
- Iyer, P., Bozzola, M., Meraner, M., Hirsch, S. and Finger, R. (2019): Measuring Farmer Risk Preferences in Europe: A Systematic Review. Journal of Agricultural Economics.
- Printezis, I., Grebitus, C. and Hirsch, S. (2019): The price is right!? A meta-regression analysis on willingness to pay for local food. PLoS ONE 14(5): e0215847.
- Fernau, E. and Hirsch, S. (2019): What drives dividend smoothing? A meta regression analysis of the Lintner model. International Review of Financial Analysis 61: 255-273.
- Fernau, E. and Hirsch, S. (2019): Meta-analysis data for the literature on dividend smoothing. Data in Brief 22: 815-820.
- Hirsch, S., Tiboldo, G. and Lopez, R. (2018): A Tale of Two Italian Cities: Brand-Level Milk Demand and Price Competition. Applied Economics 50(49): 5239-5252.
- Finger, R, Dalhaus, T., Allendorf, J., Hirsch, S. (2018): Determinants of downside risk exposure of dairy farms. European Review of Agricultural Economics 45(4): 641-674.
- Gschwandtner, A. and Hirsch, S. (2018): What drives firm profitability? A comparison of the US and EU food processing industry. The Manchester School 86(3): 390-416.
- Yeh, C.H., Hartmann, M. and Hirsch, S. (2018): Taiwanese consumer survey data for investigating the role of information on equivalence of organic standards in directing food choice. Data in Brief 18: 688-690.
- Yeh, C.H, Hartmann, M. and Hirsch, S. (2018): Does information on equivalence of standards direct choice? Evidence for organic labels from different countries-of-origin. Food Quality and Preference 65: 28-39.
- Hirsch, S. (2018): Successful in the long run? A meta-regression analysis of persistent firm profits. Journal of Economic Surveys 32(1): 23-49.
- Zouaghi, F., Sanchez Garcia, M. and Hirsch, S. (2017): What drives firm profitability? A multilevel approach to the Spanish agri-food sector. Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research 15(3), e0117.
- Hoffmann, J., Hirsch, S. and Simons, J. (2017): Identification of spatial agglomerations in the German food processing industry. Papers in Regional Science 96(1): 139-162.
- Lorenz, B., Hartmann, M., Hirsch, S., Kanz, O. and Langen, N. (2017): Determinants of Plate Leftovers in one German Catering Company. Sustainability 9(5), 807.
- Hirsch, S. and Schiefer, J. (2016): What causes firm profitability variation in the EU foodindustry? A redux of classical approaches of variance decomposition. Agribusiness - An International Journal 32(1): 79-92.
- Von Germeten, J. and Hirsch, S. (2015): Pre-sliced or Do-It-Yourself? Determinants of Schoolchildren's Acceptance of Convenience Fruits and Vegetables. Food Quality and Preference 44: 1-11.
- Hirsch, S. and Hartmann, M. (2014): Persistence of firm level profitability in the European dairy industry. Agricultural Economics 45(S1): 53-63.
- Hirsch, S., Schiefer, J., Gschwandtner, A. and Hartmann, M. (2014): The determinants of firm profitability differences in EU food processing. Journal of Agricultural Economics 65(3): 703-721.
- Hirsch, S. and Gschwandtner, A. (2013): Profit persistence in the food industry: evidence rom five European countries. European Review of Agricultural Economics 40(5): 741-759.